29 July 2012

I am unexpectedly watching water polo

I love the Olympics. You get to watch sports and things while faceless voices tell you everything you need to know about the teams and the sport and rules, and then later you repeat everything you heard to other people, who heard the exact same information, and yet you both get to pretend to be experts in all the Olympic events.

For instance, I don't know which of the gymnastic teams are expected to win, but now I know that Australia is really good and they are generally weak on the uneven bars, but they have one girl on the team mainly there because she  has clean lines, which is what judges look for. NO IDEA WHAT ALL THAT MEANS FOR MEDALS because, who knows what the preliminaries actually mean.

Oh and I watched the men's swimming relay preliminary, and then was surprised after that that the four swimmers who qualified would not swim the relay in the finals. I'm sure a real swimming fan would KNOW these things.

I am still watching water polo. I heard the words "power play" and now I'm just imagining hockey because that's the only context I've heard that phrase before. I still don't know the rules to this game. Is this deep water? How can they really tell who's on their team? Has any one ever pulled the swimsuit off an opposing team member during a water polo game?

No comments:

Post a Comment